Friday, March 4, 2011

An odd request from Trav....

So for probably a couple years now Trav has wanted to get a Chia Pet just to see how they work.  I told him I wasn't even sure where to get one or if they sell them anymore because it has been forever since they have been advertised on TV and were "in". He would try to talk me into to going and looking for one and I always kind of avoided the request  because I thought it would just be a waste of money and I didn't really want one in our house.  Well needless to say we were at Target about a month ago and they had two shelves full of clearance items.  He saw this Spongebob Chi Pet and couldn't resist.  As a side note, Spongebob was his ultimate favorite cartoon.  So that made him even want this more.  We looked at the price and it was like $3.24, so I was like okay.  I thought to myself, it is cheap and then he won't want to go searching for one later. So we bought it.
As we read the instructions we found out that it needs water daily and that there were enough seeds included that you could replant it several times.  The first time nothing really grew, so trav reseeded it and tried again.  This time he was very meticulous about watering it.  He said the instructions stated that it must remain very moist for the first few days.  He would fill Spongebob full of water once a day, spray it with a spray bottle every time he remembered and then we he wasn't by it, he would cover it with a ziploc bag to keep the moisture in.  He made sure it was in a good temperature location and in the perfect amount of sunlight.  I am proud to say he got it to grow.  The picture below was probably after about 1 1/2 weeks. 

That picture was taken right before he gave up on it.  He told me it was taking to much work and he let the plant die.  He said that the chia just soaked up too much water too fast (it is a sponge ya know...lol...lame joke I know)  In the end, it was just fun to see how carefully he cared for his "Cha Cha Cha CHIA".  Good Times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment