Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What's been going on at our apartment...

In the midst of trying to finish my last semester with a bang and trav coming towards the end of his hardest year, we had a little surprise.  There was an awkard smell in our extra closet.  I don't go in there much, and Trav never goes in there, so it didn't bug me enough to even mention it.  Finally I said to Trav, "This closet smells funny."  He came over to smell it and was like, "I don't smell anything." I said, "How can you not smell that?" He said, "Well my noise is pretty stuffy." That was that....until the next day when I get home from work he told me to go feel the carpet.  I did and it was soaking wet through and through.  So we took out all of our stuff that was on that half of the closet.  Then we started soaking up the water with towels.  It soaked several towels and was still really wet.  So we put a fan on it hoping to dry some of it out until our landlord could come check it out.
This is the side of the closet that was flooding and we pulled back the carpet to fan the paddinig as well.

Our landlord came over an ended up having to cut the sheetrock out on the wall and part of the ceiling to find that it was a leaking pipe.  It was the upstairs kitchen sink drain pipe.  No wonder it smelled!  Oh it makes me sick to think about it. He found that the people who lived there before he bought the house had had the same problem.  The previous owner had fixed the leak with a piece of an inner bike tube and 2 clamps. Side note: Why in the world would you fix a leak like that and take the time to sheetrock over it, plaster it, and paint it??? Wouldn't you think that an inner bicke tube and 2 clamps is a very temporary fix. Anyways, our landlord fixed it properly and now we are back to normal.  Our landlord is quite the handyman and he was super quick to come and get it all taken care of. (It was still a week long process)

This is alal of the stuff we kept in the closet.  The closet held a lot more than I realized!!
We had evereything from files, to textbooks, to Trav's Physiology notes (5  binders full), to camping gear, to games, to food storage (a ton of that ), microwave, and wrapping paper sitting out in our 2nd bedroom.
In our bedroom, our dresser was covered in our clothes and we can't forget Trav's stuffed antelope head and guitar.

Needless to say, we lived in a mess for a week and I'm really glad everything is back in its place and more organized than it was before.


1 comment: